Wednesday, August 27, 2008

After the August rain....

Things are becoming more green and blooming once again, almost as if it were spring! The violets have spread their seed and here I find new little plants to brighten this walkway! Off in the distance you can see the lawn becoming quite green and lush. Variegated Geraniums are among my favorite plants. The leaves alone are enough to keep me growing them and when the blooms have faded they continue to draw attention to themselves.
The Delphiniums have come back only in a smaller and less heavy bloom. The color is lighter and the plants have spread out. They are not top heavy and will last longer in the garden.
These little Pansy's are turning their heads up to say "Hi!" They remind me of my mom. She would talk to her pansy's like they were listening..and some say they do! I was given this red Jackson Perkins rose as a gift to remember my dear friend, Donna, who passed away two years ago. Last year it didn't do much but this year it's giving me some beautiful long stemmed beauties! Thank you Kim and Bette!!
Below is the "wedding lawn" and it is greening up quickly after the heavier August rain we had over last week. For those of you who have heard that we have a lot of rain and think we live with constant downpour....that isn't the case in the summer. And for those of you who live where there is drought, you know how much rain is appreciated when you get it. We almost feel that way all year long! There is a certain enjoyment that comes from rain...it is life giving and life sustaining! Light + Water = LIFE. My life is based on this concept of loving God(Light), listening to and learning His word(water).
Sunflower seeds were planted in July and they are about to bloom. It has changed the way the herb garden looks due to the height of these plants. The Sunflowers love the sun and they give protection to the other plants that appreciate a little shade. Next year I'm going to "back plant" shade plants in a full sun area by using tall specimens. In other words, shade will be created so that other kinds of plants that don't like the sun can thrive. Make sense? Have a great weekend!! It's the last weekend before school starts here in the Northwest and is commonly used for getting a lot of yard and house work done! I'm going to get started on mine now.

12 comments:

ellen b. said...

What a lot of beautiful things you have to gaze upon Flower! Lovely. Can't help but think what a tall mess my lawn in Washington could be if dear #2 son hasn't mowed it since we left a couple weeks ago!!
:0)

Sandy said...

I am so glad I stopped y to rest myself and refresh in your beautiful garden! Perhaps by reading your blog I will learn a thing or two about becoming a green thumb!

Have a great weekend!

Willow said...

Beautiful garden! I'll look forward to seeing what the garden looks like next summer when you make the shadebarrier.

Joanne Kennedy said...

Your grass and flowers are beautiful. Things are starting to die off here. We have not had any rain in months. It's been hot and humid but no rain.

I love rain and should live in a city that rains a lot. I would be so happy.

Lucky you.

Hugs,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Your plants are beautiful! I want pansies again as soon as the weather cools off some.
Brenda

bunnytrails said...

I wish you could come and teach me some things about gardening!! Your pictures are simply beautiful!! I love your blog!!!

marmee said...

nice turn about in your garden. i love pansies and am waiting for a little cooler weather to plant them. how long will your sunflowers last? i had some this summer that were gigantic.check out my post "sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy" i think you might enjoy seeing these.

violetlady said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos. Especially the sweet violets - my favorite.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your garden is beautiful and refreshing! blessings, Kathleen

Tracy said...

Hi, Flower! Looks like everything's still growing & flowering strong--sooo beautiful! I love when you take us on a garden tour :o) Hope you've been enjoying the long holiday weekend. we leave for the US in two days--hooray! The laptop comes with us, so I look forward to posting while away when I can. Talk to you more soon...((HUGS))

KathyB. said...

Your gardens are beautiful ! You are receiving the same weather we are and I love not having to water. Plus, the grass and flowers are so lush after the rain.

I have a lot of shade plants , such as Hostas and Bleeding hearts that thrive under Fireweed ( we don't consider it a weed ) and other tall sun loving plants !Your sun barrier should do well and I look forward to pictures next year ! Thank-you, KathyB.

p.s. I totally agree with your life equation of Light + water = LIFE ! Bless you.

Barn House said...

Your place looks AMAZING! You have really done an incredible job in that garden of yours!!

J & J